”A callus (or callosity) is a toughened area of skin which has become relatively thick and hard in response to repeated friction, pressure, or other irritation.” (source: Wikipedia) Most usual spots for calluses are the tops, sides and the sole of the foot but they can develop anywhere – for example string instrument players usually have hardened skin on their string holding hands but they rarely require care or treatment unlike the ones that develop on feet. This article is mainly purposed for those who want to remove foot callus and for that there are plenty of devices available on the market – we present you our buying guide for the best callus removers.
- REMOVE MORE SKIN EVERY SECOND Naturalico callus remover tool, spins 40 times/sec. More spins means more exfoliation than other tools. The built-in 1200 Mah battery can be charged more than 1,000 times during its lifetime. First fully charge the device for 8 hours, and then you can use it continuously for up to 40 minutes. Red light indicator will turn on during the charge, and indicator light will turn to Green light when the charge is Full
- EXFOLIATE A LITTLE OR A LOT With 2 speeds, our pedicure tool lets you customize the experience. Clear your callus using our callus shaver. Easy feet care - foot scrubber scraper is very simple, easy to use and perfect for both men and women
- GOOD FOR THE PLANET & FOR YOUR FEET Rechargeable to reduce battery waste; Gentler than a manual file
- SEE WHAT YOU'RE TREATING LED light illuminates skin, so you can see calluses & rough patches clearly
- SIMPLE TO CLEAN Water-resistant design for quick & easy washing; 2 Grinding Roller Heads + 1 Cleaning Brush included!
- SPA QUALITY RESULTS: Remove hard callused skin effortlessly revealing new smooth soft skin.
- USB COMPATIBLE: Conveniently designed to be able to charge from a wall outlet or from a USB port.
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: Use callus remover for 120 continuous minutes from a single charge.
- LONG LASTING COMFORTABLE ROLLER: Durable roller made from quartz micro mineral crystals.
- SAVE MONEY: Get professional pedicure results whenever you like, but without the costs.
- Tip2Toe Professional Electric Callus Remover
Callus Treatment and Prevention
In general calluses are easier to prevent than treat but this does not mean treating them is a particularly hard task. The British National Health Service recommends self-treatment only ”after a podiatrist has identified the cause and advised you about treatment” (source: NHS) but we believe anyone who has ever had callus on their feet can identify it easily. For a visual guide visit the source mentioned above. In case you don’t want to pay a visit for a podiatrist, calluses are most often preventable at home with proper equipment that we list later on in this article.
- After washing your feet always remember to dry them properly and then apply a special moisturising foot cream instead of regular body lotion
- Using pumice stone or foot file regularly
- Wearing shoes that cause repeated pressure or irritation to same spot – in other words buy shoes that fit. PRO TIP: do your shoe shopping in the afternoon to get a perfect fit as your feet swell later as the day goes on and testing them then won’t give you a proper fit.
In addition to these traditional methods there is a modern approach to the problem – electric callus removers.
Electric Callus Removers
These handy little devices, also known as electronic foot files, are getting more and more popular these days and for a good reason – they make removing hard skin from your feet so much easier and faster than with the traditional foot file.
Choosing The Best Callus Remover For Your Needs
All the electric callus removers have the same working principle: they have a round file and a motor that rotates it around. There are some additional qualities to keep in mind when choosing one:
- Is the roller head replaceable?
- Is it rechargeable?
- Is it waterproof?
- Can you adjust the speed of the file?
These questions matched up with your personal preferences will give you an idea of what kind of a callus remover would be the best fit for your needs.
Electric Callus Remover Comparison
|Amopé Pedi Perfect Wet & Dry||Own Harmony CR900||Amopé Pedi Perfect||Naturalico Electric Callus Remover||Mollify TC-800|
|Replaceable Roller Head|
For a more detailed comparison of the Amopé callus removers see our review.
Best Callus Removers of 2017
- Two speed settings
- Cheap refill heads
- Really effective (recommended for really tough areas)
- Regular and extra coarse roller heads
- Not fully waterproof
- Overall built-in quality
- The most trusted device on the market
- Cheap refills
- Not rechargeable, runs on batteries
The basic model of Amopé Pedi Perfect is the number one best seller of the whole foot file category in Amazon. This battery-run device does not offer any of the fancy extra features that the ones above have but the overall built-in quality is just outstanding – it just works. The differences in these “regular” electric callus removers come from built-in quality and the coarseness of the roller head and we think it is evident that the Amopé Pedi Perfect delivers what most users expect. For those who are not certain might want to take a look at the Own Harmony CR900 for example, which gives you both a regular and extra coarse roller heads in the same package.
Reviewing each of these devices separately is bit of unnecessary, as they all work as described and have no noticeable extra features. In the end, an electric callus remover is a rather simple device and there is no need for an extra in-depth comparison of roller head speeds or such. These two however are not as stunning than the ones mentioned above, but if you are on a tight budget or just get a good deal for either of these two they are well worth the money.
- Impressive spin speed (40 per second)
- Two speed setting
- Feels a bit cheap design-wise
Naturalico is the second device on our list which gives you the ability to choose between two different speed settings, which is always a nice feature if you are looking for an ultimately precise callus removal process. The only downside with the Naturalico is that the glossy plastic leaves a rather cheap overall feel on the device but during our test process we could not tell a difference performance-wise with the more premium-feeling removers on our list.
- Coarse head might be too much for some users
Mollify TC-800 is another “heavy user” device on the list – it comes packed with both regular and extra coarse roller heads and if your callus problem is more on the easier side you definitely want to start off with the regular head as the extra coarse indeed is a powerful file. Just like the Own Harmony CR900 this device is also sold with the caution to not apply pressure for more than 3-4 seconds at a time.
Best Practice and Supplements
Using electric callus removers is easy and follows the same guidelines as analog foot files. The most important thing to remember is that self-caring calluses is not a magical quick fix but a process that requires regular treatment. So, remember to use your callus remover regularly. The following is a general guideline, for more specific tips read your manual carefully.
- Soak your feet in warm water for about 10-15 minutes
- Dry your feet properly
- Use the callus remover carefully
- Wash your feet
- Apply foot cream
We recommend the Amopé Pedi Perfect Extra Rich Skin Recovery Foot Cream or O’Keeffe’s Foot Cream for your ultimate home salon experience.